Sunday, November 27, 2005

Am I getting old?

Monday morning!...Came little late to office.
Not in a mood to start work, so went for a coffee with colleague.

Two others joined us, One is IT head n other manager. I was very pleased by the way they volunteered themselves to join us. I just got introduced to them few days back when I joined.

We were talking about various matters, Especially about Christmas celebration going in S'pore.
Then a sudden question was asked to me.."Wat is ur husband?"....

I was shocked. No one asked me that question before. Seeing my expression he immediately realized that I am not married. Then the topic changed but I was thinking about it.

How can he possible ask that question? Do I look that Old?

Then I remembered all similar instances.
1. I am at my relatives place. A small kid comes to me n says "Aunty, where is chinnu?" Chinnu is my cousin n he was in 3rd std at that time and I was in 11th.

2. I was traveling by bus and a kid is next to me. There was a sudden break n I held him immediately so that he won’t fall. His grand mom was very happy at my help n says to the kid “Aunty has saved u from getting hurt. Say her thank you”. I was in first year of Engineering.

3. When ever I go to grandma’s place, the servant maid says to her “This year u must get her married”. This started when I was in 10th.

But then there were instances also when i felt i was younger than i am.
1. A couple were sitting next to me in train. She asked me ‘Are u in Inter? Which college?’. Actually i was working at that time. My Inter was 6 years back.

2. New family has come for rent in our house. On first day the wife asked me 'Did u not go to school today?' I was doing my BE then.

3. I was talking to a 7th std kid, who is my cousins friend. She asked me "Akka, which class are u in?" I was working at that time.

There were instances when I mistaken someone about their age.
1. Once in a marriage, I was introduced to married woman, I talked to her and addressed as ‘Aunty’. Later I got to know she is younger to me.

2. Again in another marriage, I was introduced to a guy, I said ‘Namaste uncle’, later my dad told me that he is brother to me in relation and almost of my age.

3. I was asked to call someone in a get together, I went to her n said, ‘Aunty someone is calling u’. Later I got to know she is my grand mom in relation.

I should be careful next time :)))

2 comments:

Murali said...

:-) So, who & what indeed is ur husband?????

"Am I getting old? " - why such rhetorics ?? :p :p

Neelam Prabhugaonker Shetye said...

hehe....."age-old" confusion sweetakka...happens all the time with me too !!!! :p :p
but its the other way around....they think i look too youung for my age u see :D ;)
but yeah..the grandmom wud have felt really happy when u called her aunty :D